Open enrollment is the annual period during which you are able to enroll in partially-sponsored medical insurance and other graduate staff benefits.
If you are hired or become newly eligible for graduate staff benefits on or after 8/12/19, you will have 30 days to enroll.
To qualify for graduate staff benefits, you must be employed in a graduate staff position(s) which carries a minimum of 0.50 FTE/half time/20 hours per week or more or be a graduate student with a fellowship administered as an assistantship on the West Lafayette campus. Your business office can tell you whether you are eligible.
Enrollment in your benefits is a two-step process.
1) Medical insurance (includes auto-enrollment in the vision plan with VSP)
- Review the Benefits tab for more information on the partially funded graduate staff medical insurance plan.
- For instructions on enrolling, click the Graduate Staff Enrollment Guide in the quick links box.
2) Dental insurance and other voluntary benefits
- Review the Graduate Staff Benefits page for more information on dental insurance through Delta Dental and other voluntary benefits and for instructions on enrolling through the Benefitfocus portal.
- Note: A valid Social Security Number is required to be on file with our records before you can gain access to Benefitfocus
For returning graduate staff, elections made during the annual open enrollment period will be in effect from August 1, 2019, through July 31, 2020.*
For new hires and newly eligible graduate staff, elections will be in effect from the first of the month in which you are hired through July 31, 2020.*
Once an election is made, graduate staff voluntary benefits (including dental) will continue until you opt-out during open enrollment or with a qualifying life event.*
*Note: Benefits are only in effect while you are in an eligible staff position; therefore, if you lose that eligibility (e.g., loss of funding), your medical/prescription benefits will end on the last day of the month in which you were eligible. All other benefits will end on the last date you were eligible.
What Happens If You Do Not Enroll
You may not enroll in graduate staff benefits until the next open enrollment period (fall 2020) without a qualifying life event (i.e., involuntary loss of coverage on another plan). For more information, click Change Coverage or Contact Information in the Quick Links box.
Purdue University requires all international students to participate in a University-sponsored medical insurance plan or to obtain an approved waiver of coverage.
If you do not enroll or obtain an approved waiver by the enrollment deadline, a hold will be placed on your academic record which affects your ability to register for classes, obtain transcripts, or graduate. Additionally, failure to enroll may negatively impact your legal status per federal immigration regulations.
You will be required to go to the Student Insurance Office in PUSH, rooms 338-340, to enroll in the international student health insurance plan and pay a $200 late enrollment fee before the hold on your academic record can be removed. You can reach the Student Insurance office at (765) 496-3998 or firstname.lastname@example.org.