Frequently Asked Questions

Archive 2020-2021


Open Enrollment for health insurance coverage during the 2021-2022 academic year will take place July 1, 2021 to 5p.m. ET September 7, 2021.  Watch this page for updated information mid-June.

COVID-19 Resources

Those employed in a graduate staff position(s) which carries a minimum of 0.50 FTE/half-time/20 hours per week or more and graduate students with fellowships administered as assistantships on the West Lafayette campus are eligible for the partially-funded graduate staff medical insurance plan.

If you do not meet the above criteria: 

Click Here to be taken to the student insurance page

Graduate staff attending classes outside of the US who arrive on campus at a later time will have a qualifying life event which allows for enrollment after Open Enrollment ends. 

Click Here for more information


Medical & Prescription

Vision and Dental

Your graduate staff medical insurance plan with Anthem includes pediatric vision and dental coverage, as well as discounts on adult vision services.

Graduate staff who enroll in the graduate staff medical insurance plan are automatically enrolled in the graduate staff vision plan with VSP.

Graduate staff are eligible to enroll separately in full-service (adult) dental insurance with Delta Dental through the Benefitfocus.

Additional Graduate Staff Benefits

Information on additional benefits for graduate staff - including other voluntary benefits with enrollment through Benefitfocus, voluntary retirement savings plans, and leaves - can be found at the Human Resources Graduate Staff Benefits site.


Dental Claim Form

for pediatric claims and dental-related medical claims (e.g., accidental dental injury)

Students with a Qualifying Life Event

Am I Eligible for a Qualifying Event?

With an appropriate qualifying life event (QLE) and supporting documentation, you may make certain changes to your plan, including:

  • Add/Enroll
    • QLE: Involuntary loss of coverage (e.g. aging off of a parent's plan)
  • Drop
    • QLE: Gaining coverage under another plan, leaving the US
  • Add Dependents
    • QLE: Marriage, birth or adoption, arrival of family members to the US
  • Drop Dependents
    • QLE: Divorce, death, departure of family members to the US

Required documentation includes proof of event and proof of dependent
relationship. Examples: Proof of loss/gain of coverage, proof of arrival/departure of family members to the US, marriage certificate or divorce decree, birth/naturalization/adoption
certificate, tax return for prior or current year (verifies dependent relationship to student).

Click the button below to Enroll in Medical Insurance if you meet the requirements of a Qualifying Event

Click Here to Enroll



Quick Links


Continuation Coverage is for those students who are no longer eligible for student insurance because they have graduated or are no longer taking classes. To be eligible for continuation Coverage, you must have been insured for at least 3 continuous months on the Purdue Student Health Insurance Plan, and you must submit premium within 30 days after your existing coverage terminates.

Find a Doctor or Dentist

Use Anthem's online Find a Doctor tool to look for doctors, dentists, hospitals, labs, and other health care providers in your Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan. Check if the provider you intend to see is part of your plan (in network), or look for one near you. Avoid getting care from doctors outside of your plan (out of network) if you can - it will cost you more or your plan may not cover it all.

How to Find a Doctor or Dentist

Click on Members and use Member ID prefix DEE to search without Logging in!


Change Coverage or Contact Information

Change Coverage

Click Here to Enroll in Medical Insurance if you meet the requirements of a Qualifying Event

Changes to the graduate staff voluntary benefits, including dental insurance with Delta Dental, must be done through the Benefitfocus portal. Visit the Graduate Staff Benefits QLE website for more information.

Change Address, Phone, or Email

It is very important to make sure that your address, phone number, and email address on file at Purdue University are current and accurate. If not, ID cards, explanation of benefits, and other notifications about your student health insurance plan may not get to you. If you have moved or your contact information has changed, please make sure you update your contact information with Purdue University. To update your contact information, please refer to the instructions in the bottom-left corner of the “Managing Your Employee Profile Cheat Sheet”.  Contact our Human Resources Customer Service at (765) 494-2222 or if you need assistance with this process.

COVID-19 Resources